Friday, June 1, 2012

Digital Media* New Learners of the 21st Century


This PBS special was really cool and made some excellent points about technology and education. I personally value hands on, concrete learning experiences and believe that it is extremely important to “unplug”. However, what I did not consider, and what this special brought to my attention was that for future generations the use of digital media will be considered a concrete learning tool. There was a quote in the beginning of the video by, I believe Nichole Pinkard (I may be wrong on that) that raised the issue of what it means to be literate, how the definition of being literate has changed over time, and what it will mean to be literate in the future with regard to computers and technology. It kind of blew my mind to think that no longer would a person be considered fully literate if they could merely read and write, but that they would also have to be computer literate. It makes sense though.

The New York school where the children are using digital and multimedia to create games really opened my eyes. It was like a performing arts school, except instead of the performance aspect, the kids were using advanced technology to create games. They all seemed stimulated and interested in the work they were doing and in the learning that was taking place. Even the little boy who labeled himself a “daydreamer” pointed out that they often get cool assignments in school so that he is interested and pays attention.

I like the idea that these children are so stimulated and focused because of the technology, but I still think that there needs to be a creative focus on keeping them interested and stimulated through teaching without a screen. I am in no way saying it isn’t useful, I really like what I saw with the use of technology as a way to teach critical thinking and problem solving, and how other content areas were being used in the assignments, I just still believe it is important to have “unplugged” teaching.

I think some of the most important points made in this special was that in the past people were taught everything they needed to know for life. Now, people need to be taught in a way that will prepare them for jobs and industries that do not even exist yet, and that the most important thing is to teach students to embrace change. The world is changing so quickly, and as educators we need to teach in a way that will prepare learners for the world they are growing and living in.

I loved the program that was using digital media in Chicago for high school students. It was giving students a way to creatively express themselves, apply technology and use it in their interest as well as in a way that could prepare them for career fields that they were interested in pursuing. They even got involved in their communities through this program- AWESOME! The clip of the high school senior who now teachers her own class to younger kids about video editing was one of my favorite parts of the special, just because of the excitement in the students, the involvement, and the comments they were making. It was a really nice moment to see these

I really liked how the students at the museums and in the history class were using cell phones and media to create educational learning scavenger hunts and to learn about their communities. If the kids are going to have and use and be interested in cell phones, then why not show them how to use them beyond calling, texting, and mindless internet searching? The kids in the museum probably learned a whole lot more about the exhibits they were looking at through taking pictures and creating their scavenger hunts than they would have if they had merely been walked through the museum, or even had worksheets to fill out and answer. The older history students became interested and involved in their community, its history and it’s future.

Watching this special definitely gave me a new outlook on the pros and valuable uses of technology in education today. It has made me excited and inspired me to try and fine meaningful and creative ways to use it in my classroom one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment